OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Meyer, Unkovic & Scott is proud of its commitment to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity, which is reflected in our mission to attract and retain a diverse group of lawyers and staff. We strongly believe that promoting diversity within the firm enhances our ability to serve our clients and strengthens our entire firm as a whole.
Diversity Mission Statement
Meyer, Unkovic & Scott values and is committed to fostering a diverse environment in all aspects of its work and culture. We believe that our ability to retain and serve our clients and their diverse needs is enhanced by hiring, cultivating and retaining a diverse group of lawyers and staff who reflect the clients and communities they serve. Through its Diversity Committee, the firm’s leadership recommends and implements strategies and practices consistent with its commitment to diversity.
At Meyer, Unkovic & Scott, individual differences among us are respected and valued. We believe that offering such diversity to our clients enhances our ability to serve them well.
Our Diversity Committee, comprised of more than ten attorneys and personnel of all levels of seniority, is very active and works to ensure that proper training tools, education and community outreach is promoted.
Internally and externally, we support a number of programs, that reflect the multi-cultured world we live in today, including educational training on diversity related topics. We place emphasis in hiring and recruiting efforts on achieving and maintaining a diverse culture and adopt workplace policies to meet the needs and concerns of our workforce. New hires are matched with mentors, and networking opportunities are regularly presented and encouraged. We encourage teamwork and collaboration among peers, and recognize the results of those efforts.
We are committed to ensuring that diversity is and remains a priority and to providing an environment where cultural awareness, inclusiveness and respect for ourselves and others is of paramount importance. Progress happens when all are involved, and we continually strive to be better and do better.
Our Commitment to Diversity Inclusion Impacts Many: Community & Pro Bono Endeavors
- We participate in professional, charitable and community activities for numerous local nonprofits as volunteers, board members and sponsors.
- We participate in the Allegheny County Bar Association’s High School Minority Summer Law Internship Program and the Minority Law Student Summer Clerkship Program.
- We regularly participate in panels, seminars and conferences focused on women, minorities and LGBT issues.
- We are active in the Diversity Committee of the Young Lawyers Division of the Allegheny County Bar Association.
- We are active members and participants in the Allegheny County Bar Association Institute for Gender Equality and the LGBT Rights Committee.
- We engage with local universities, including Pitt, CMU, Duquesne, Carlow and Chatham, in various programs that have a diverse core.
- We work closely with Chatham University’s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship and Women’s Small Business Development Center to provide legal counseling and seminars for its clients.
- We prepare and serve hot meals to individuals who are in need and/or who are impacted by HIV and AIDS.
- We hold clothing drives for organizations helping economically challenged clients.
- We help rehab and repair houses for elderly or those in need.
- We hold holiday toy drives, and supply hundreds of toys for lower income families.
- We administer the Landlord-Tenant Project, a signature project of the Pittsburgh Pro Bono Partnership, operated in conjunction with Neighborhood Legal Services and the Allegheny County Bar Foundation. The project helps low income individuals who have been denied public housing or are facing difficulties in connection with private housing.
- Annually, we volunteer over 1,000 hours of pro bono services to those in need.